I have been absolutely blown away by the comments that perfect strangers, family, and friends have said to me while pregnant. I'm very funny about speaking to people I do not know, and I'm a bit of a "bubble" person (I like my personal space), so I have been mortified on occasion by the brazen comments and actions of people around me just because I am with child. It's ironic to me that we do not make these kind of comments to overweight people--just preggos. Why is that???
Here is a list of some of the craziness that I have endured over the last 10ish months...
1. "You having twins? NO!?! Well, at least you can hope he's healthy!" --Toothless Wonder at the flea market
2. "So, how far along are you? Like 8 months?" (only 7 months at the time--don't guess, people!) --Neighbor
3. "Man, you're BIG!" --Too many people to count
4. "Mrs. Bozeman, your belly is getting BIG!" --Too many students to count
5. "Your feet look swollen."
6. "When are you DUE?" (said with BIG eyes looking you up and down) --Most any stranger I encounter
7. "He's going to be like 10 pounds, isn't he?" --Appliance repair man
8. "I was thinking, "WOW, that girl is huge!"...Then I realized it was my sister." (after randomly seeing my sis in Target)
9. "You aren't going to go into labor right here in the store, are you?" --Random Target worker on the same day I encountered my sister
10. "Are you sure there isn't another one in there hiding behind the first baby? Maybe a whole football team?" --A friend...I think :)
11. "I know how pregnant girls don't like their bellies being rubbed, so I just have to do it!" --A woman I DO NOT know in a restaurant who grabbed my arm as I walked by her table and feverishly started rubbing my belly
To say that I really have to suck up my pride before going out of the house these days is an understatement. I can almost always tell it's coming...usually someone creepily checks me out for a bit before saying something. However, if there is one thing to be said for going past your due date, I have my replies ready for them now. I DARE you to ask me when I am due!!! The poor guy at Kroger hanging his head out of the car window to watch me walk by got the first taste of it as I said loud enough for him to hear, "I CAN STARE TOO!!!" Watch out world! :)
And here is my two cents on what SHOULD be said to a pregnant woman (regardless of how she is carrying):
1. "You really have only gotten bigger in your belly. You look just the same everywhere else to me." --My sweet hubbo (he accidentally said JUST what I wanted to hear! It's no longer true, but it was very sweet at the time!)
2. "You look so cute!" --Several sweet girlfriends who have recently been pregnant themselves--they know!
3. SAY NOTHING AT ALL. All pregnant women are VERY aware of their changing bodies and figures. We get up each morning and struggle to pull on one of the 3 maternity outfits that still fit, breathlessly try to pull on our shoes as our bellies bulge to the point that it's nearly impossible, and stare at a reflection in the mirror that looks very little like it did several months before. Believe it or not, we do not need you to draw attention to our growing bodies at all! It is always so refreshing to have a conversation with someone that has NOTHING to do with my belly, due date, etc. Do not get me wrong, pregnancy is a BEAUTIFUL process that I feel so incredibly fortunate to be experiencing...but somewhere beneath the "pooch" I am still just a girl going about daily life trying not to draw attention to myself. Sometimes a smile/nod are all that are needed!