Tuesday, January 31, 2012

and the desk goes red...

First off, this project took me much longer than it should have to complete.  That isn't necessarily because it was difficult, I just never really made the time to "get er done." 

I started with this desk...

My parents got it for me several years ago from an antique shop, and although I LOVED it the way that it was, it took quite a beating in the move.

The color was also not working well with the beige walls, so it was time for a change.

I sanded down the top...

Andy clearly wanted an action shot here.

I also used a detail sander for the awkward little parts on the desk.


I primed...


I then added Floetrol for the first time to my red paint before painting.  LOVE this stuff.  It slows drying time considerably, but it allowed me to catch drips and smudges before they dried.  I ended up with a much smoother finish with this stuff.

And freshly painted...


But, I can't ever leave well enough alone, so I added a little stain to the detail work and edges to "age" the paint a bit.


VERY subtle, I know.

I also changed out the old wooden knob for a simple rubbed bronze one.


The color definitely comes off orange-ish here, but it's really not in real life.

So there you have it.  The story about how the desk went red.

We have also painted our first guest bedroom and my mom is set to add curtains to the room tomorrow.  Updates to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment