Saturday, May 15, 2010

Home PROJECTS!!!

So, I am finally ready to post the many home pictures that I have been collecting.  To get ready for the graduation party at our house, I made sure to get a few last minute projects done.  Here are a few of the project before and afters...

Project #1:  Front Porch Urns



What you need:  Good, cheap urns (JoAnn Fabric had their urns 50% off--thus, two for the price of one), a good helper/supervisor (Duncan), and a can of Rust-Oleum spray paint (I needed black).


The urns that I purchased...before I sprayed them to make them blacker...

'
The urn on the left has one coat of black...you can already see the difference...

The finished product plus the ferns that my mom brought us for the graduation party.  I was really pleased with the final product!  By the way, these are Kimberly Queen ferns, not Boston ferns.  According to my mom, these are the best to have on your front porch. :)

Project #2:  Painted Desk Chair

The "before" picture of the desk chair.  This was a desk and chair that I had gotten from my parents for a birthday in the past.  It was bought at a local antique shop in Tullahoma--I absolutely love the design of the desk and chair--so dainty!  However, the desk chair was a bit "blah" and needed a little something-something, if you know what I mean.:)  So, I bought MORE spray paint and some fabric to doll it up a bit...

The chair with the first coat of paint...

The spray paint that I used and the finished chair!  Isn't it just darling?  Even Andy liked the finished product!  He was a little nervous about the red spray paint...

The finished little "nook" in the kitchen!  A cutesy little spot for paying bills. :(


This is the little kitchen secret I have been keeping from our viewers.  Yes, the pictures I have taken in the past made it seem as if our kitchen was good to go!  But no, we had GAPING holes in our ceiling!  When we took down the HUGE light box in the kitchen we found these lovely holes--not good.  Therefore, we had to think of a way to mount a new light fixture while covering the holes.  Thus, we came back to the bead board that we had used for the back splash...


My dad removing the old fluorescent lights...

We had one slab of bead board left, and this is what we glued and nailed to the ceiling.  It covered the holes perfectly!

Above are the pictures of the process and finished mounting.  A much better look!
 
My dad laying the threshold that my granddad made for us.  We needed a sizable piece to connect the hardwoods in the kitchen to the carpet in the rec. room.  My granddad whipped something up for us and it worked perfectly!  If you remember, this is the same doorway that housed those lovely sliding glass doors.  When we removed them, we really tore up the molding/flooring in this doorway in the process.  After laying the new floor piece, we pieced together some molding that my parents had from their house and some pieces I had bought from Lowes.  After fresh coat of white paint, it actually came together pretty well!


As you can see, we have been quite busy lately with projects here and there.  Are we done?  Oh how we wish!  Our next to-do is the guest bath upstairs.  For those of you who have been to the house, you know we have quite a project on our hands!  With summer quickly approaching, I will soon be sporting my paint brush as well.  We still have many things we would like to fix up!  Stay tuned for more updates!

Side Note:  Yesterday was Field Day at my school.  Andy FINALLY brought Duncan for the kids to meet him.  They have been begging to meet the dog I tell them so much about.  As Andy and Duncan approached the area where we were, all of the kids swarmed him.  Poor Duncan wasn't ready for all of those grimy hands petting him!  Then, in unison, they all started chanting, "Duncan, Duncan, Duncan!"  It was HILARIOUS.  He was quite the celebrity to say the least.  Needless to say, he slept very well last night!

No comments:

Post a Comment